Saturday 3 November 2012

Some PhD's (projects half done ;)

I left production till the last minute this week, well, as usual, really.


I made a piece of fabric using some of the lovely gift from Heloise & got a chance to practice using my new gardening free machine embroidery gloves - fabulous! They're covered in little rubbery dots. It still 'pulls' in my forearms/elbows doing fme but the gloves make it less painful - I got one pair for the garden too ;)


Under my hands is one piece of fabric covered in purply snippets one side with purple organza & the other side pinky, orange & green bits covered with lime green organza - delicious stuff. It's the size of 2 pieces of A4 paper/computer printer paper & I couldn't find my bondaweb or a big enough piece of sticky stabilizer so imagine me grappling with a million tiny snippets under moving organza - lots of pins were used (but not hurt) in this excersize. You can be sure bondaweb & the other are on order!


 So I cut out 2 purses with 'buttons'


2 cuffs & 2 'patches' to decorate book covers


2 heart shapes for decorations

& was left with the above remains - I can see a couple of bookmarks, 2 or 3 brooches, lots of earrings & buttons. Quite pleased with the amount I got out of it. I ended up using small pieces of sticky stabilizer, ironing the pre cut shape onto the back of the fabric (obvs!) Oh, what a dream it is stitching with stabilzser instead of wriggling organza, why don't I learn?


Went off to Portree in the week to the North End of the Island to make 3 deliveries - some work to the Aros Center where the art group I belong to 'Aos' is having a winter exhibition, I hope we have a party! Then on  to Tippecanoe, a lovely little gift shop/gallery with absolutely everything you could want in it, with a small order of cards, then on to Skyeworks Gallery     with a top up of cards & a discussion about dates for giving a workshop, not till next year, now. All finished off with a delicious Latte & baked cheesecake in their bakery cafe, wonderful.

9 comments:

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

I love viewing the process of your work.
Always beautiful and colorful textures.

Anonymous said...

That looks like great fun and lots -- of work too! Theurses look to be lovely beginning and It's nice to see that you have envisioned lots from these pieces. Gloves are cute. xox

sue said...

that was a lot of fun to see! It is always interesting to view other artists practices and processes! Sounds like a wonderfully productive time. Glad you are doing what you can to care for your most valuable tool - your body!

maryom said...

That material looks lovely - nicer I think than if you'd used bondaweb. I'm tempted to have a go at making some myself though I'm not at all sure how it would turn out or what I'd use it for.

ju-north said...

Love the colours you used! The scenery round there must be beautiful atm!

Jill said...

Brilliant idea to use the knobbly gloves - mine are all muddy!! Love your choice of colours and looking forward to seeing your finished pieces.

Anonymous said...

Lovely results but you do like to take the difficult route don't you. Glad to see that you got so much out of the piece and that there is more to come.

Robin Mac said...

Lovely results -different from bondaweb, but I think i would be witing for the bondaweb to arrive! I love the colour choice. Cheers

Anonymous said...

The colour combinations are lovely! I was surprised how much I liked the green and orange/rust - in close up it really works so well. Looking forward to seeing the purses and cuffs made up. :o)