Saturday 20 April 2013

Work in progress

I fancied some jewel colors. I've been looking at the wonderful winter colors for so long I needed a change. The DH thought I was meaning a dual, as in a fight (how do you spell that?) so I explained ;)

 hanging will be approx 14" x 8" each square nearly 3" x 3"

 Here are a few pieces waiting to be finished off when I get around to finding a machine with a little bit of Satin Stitch ;) It is on my list to do, just thought I'd get on with some work while sorting it.

 cuff 7" x 2"

a little button pinned at the ready. So I was thinking ahead re the colors; sea colors round the bay


 book 4" x 6"

 This will be a book, looks a bit naked without a button or cord.
 Think sea pinks, foxgloves. The emerald green of a duck's feather

 cards - motif 1" x 1 1/2"

think the blues in a mussel shell

 purse 3" x 5"

 think the burgundy of a sea urchin,


pendants on the left, no gold as yet, brooches on the right, size as cards



 think the gold of the sand & the sun on your back (just not today ;)


sample 2" x 3"

I'm loving doing the hand stitching & the sample above looks like a sample. Not sure how to avoid the 'hanging to be' certainly a work in progress, looking like a sampler, too. I guess most work is a sample of techniques but I was hoping it would be more, but what? I haven't thought it thru enough, no idea what kind of background, I'll get Gwen's book out & think 'rich color' while I'm reading it. When I was laying these out to photograph, some seem a bit blurry, sorry, the DH said the 'hanging' was very hairy, messy - he'd like them to look more like the 'cards' in the 4th pic, neat & well, sort of minimalist. now there's a challenge ;)

15 comments:

Carmina said...

Lovely pieces!
Carmina

The Sparkly Fairy said...

Beautiful jewel colours!

ju-north said...

Beautiful colours reflecting your beautiful surroundings!

Naida Willis said...

Beautiful colours and so many pieces to enjoy working on.

Jan said...

Good color way. I can see what you are suggesting as representative, ie: sea urchins, sand and sea...

Beverley Baird said...

Beautiful pieces - one and all! Love the colours you've chosen!

chocolatefrog said...

Gorgeous colours. I do like straggly edges but sometimes v. neatly cut squares contrast nicely with wild insides?

Suztats said...

i love jewel tones and these WIPs look great!

Heloise said...

I wonder if you have thought of joining the pieces together with threads so that they are held together but stand out.

Good luck with whatever method you chose.

They are just your colours and will look good what ever you go for.

Robin Mac said...

Lovely colours and interesting WIPs Emma. I hope you get your machine with satin stitch soon to finish them off. I'm catching up after being away, so sorry to hear about Sconser, but she had a pretty long life. I like your lino blocks. Cheers

Lesley Crawford, Gaia Art said...

My favourite colours, makes me remember last year's holiday on Skye.

Anonymous said...

Ooh marvie jewel tones, I like this collection and the hand stitching is so meditative....xox

Maggi said...

Lovely pieces Emma.

Iz said...

Beautiful colours - and there is order, particularly in the last "sample" - love the hand stitches.

Julie said...

Jewel is right, they're gorgeous!